Pages

Monday, May 11, 2015

The 5k day and what was really important

September 7, 2013...the day of  the Curesearch 5k Fundraiser Walk in Chicago.  The weather was forecast to be sunny and humid.  But, during our drive into the city there were light showers and the temp stayed fairly cool.  Until we got to Soldier Field. The sky cleared and it got hot and HUMID.

This is the kind of weather that I don't handle well.  Ick.  During the time leading up to the walk, standing in the open grassy area outside the stadium, I just got hotter and hotter.  I was happy to be a part of this fundraiser.  Just not happy about the weather.  What if I got overheated and passed out?  Yeah, listen to that internal dialogue.  Thinking about ME instead of the real reason I was there.

Childhood cancer research funding.

CureSearch is a leader in childhood cancer research.  I learned about this organization during the time our nephew Matthew fought ALL (a type of leukemia).  Research for children's cancers is severely underfunded and the statistics are frightening.  Unless your family has lost a child to cancer (as our family did) you likely don't know just how many children die each year from cancer...or the serious complications caused by treatment.  I'll provide a link HERE to the CureSearch site, where you can learn more about the kids fighting cancer.  I hope that raising awareness will lead to increased funding and then to more research.  Awareness + funding + research = higher cure rates and more kids surviving and thriving.

Yes, I survived the 5k.  Concentrating on the real goal helped me to stop thinking about me, and just DO it.  I was certainly glad when we had completed the walk.  But what really made me feel good, was being a part of something so important!

Ok, maybe it's time for me to share a couple of photos.  Not that I really want to, but I need to be real here.
The photo on the left was taken the day of the 5k in September 2013.  That's me in the middle, between my niece and sister-in-law.  The photo on the right was taken in September 2014. Again, I'm in the middle.  Even more important than the difference in how I look now, is the difference in how I feel.  Now that I've gotten much healthier, I feel SO much better.  I have a lot more energy, too.  I'm still surprised how much more energy I have.  It's a lot easier (and more fun) to do the things I enjoy.
 Over a 10 month span, I eventually went down 6 sizes.  I guess I might as well talk pounds, too.  Seventy-six pounds.  Oh boy.  That wasn't easy to admit.

Alright now.  I'm feeling kinda drained after all this.  Enough for now...see you next time with a recipe or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment