Pages

Monday, May 18, 2015

Food prep and cooking - It's worth the time!

Since I made the decision to begin eating healthy in August of 2013, I've set aside time each weekend for food prep and cooking.  I prepare food for the coming week, for my breakfasts and lunches. I usually prep veggies to go with my dinners, too.

Yes, this is time consuming.  But it is SO worth it.  Because my work days are long and begin very early, I have to have nutritious foods that I can pull out of the fridge or freezer. 

I've already shared 2 breakfast recipes that I alternate between.  I make those on the weekend and a batch will last me all through the work week.  I love them both and it's so easy to scoop some out of the container, heat it and add my yummy toppings.  Easy, nutritious and yummy.  Perfect for me.
It may be hard to believe, but I never get tired of these two oatmeal breakfasts.  Even after this long.

Something else I've been eating for most of these months is Roasted Veggies.  You can vary the veggies each time, but the basic recipe (if you can even call it that) is simple.

Roasted Vegetables
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Chop vegetables into 1" to 1-1/4" cubes (roughly, no need for precision)
I use any combo of the following veggies:
  - broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato, brussels sprouts (cut in half), rutabaga, zuchinni, baby carrots
My faves are those first 3 veggies listed!

Place all in a large bowl, then drizzle with EVOO (extra virgin olive oil).  Stir to coat evenly.
Pour onto a large baking sheet, then sprinkle with your favorite seasonings.
My favorites are Mrs.Dash Chipotle or Mrs. Dash Tomato, Basil, Garlic.  Other good options are onion powder or garlic powder.  I don't use onion salt or garlic salt because of the added sodium.

Bake for about 25 minutes.  If not quite tender, bake a few minutes longer.

I made a batch yesterday.  Here's a photo.
Yum.  I reheated some this afternoon to go with a baked fish fillet.  Speaking of fish, I usually top a fillet with salsa before popping it into the oven.  Easy and very tasty!
Each week I buy baby carrots and radishes, to pull out of the fridge to go with our dinner each evening (along with whatever other veggie we're having).  Dipped in just a bit of fat-free or low-fat ranch dressing, it's another way to add fresh veggies to your meal.

The whole point of this particular blog post is that (for me) weekend food prep and cooking is essential!!!  Without food that I can just grab out of the fridge and put in a bowl, or into my lunch bag (for work snacks and lunch) it would be very difficult for me to stay on track...to stay healthy.

If I didn't have those foods ready to go, I would be searching through the pantry or fridge for something easy, but probably not nutritious.  Or foods from the vending machines at work.  Fast food.  Junk food.  Easy food.  You know...those foods that helped to get me 76 pounds overweight.
No, I don't want to go there again.

Figure out what works for you.  Experiment.  Search online, like I did, to find healthy recipes that appeal to you.  With the right seasonings and food combinations healthy foods can be delicous!

Everything I'm sharing is what has worked for me.  I'm certainly no expert.  But I hope that some of the info or recipes I share will work for you, too.  Please comment with any tips and information you've found, too.  I would love to know!
Before I go, I want to share a graphic I found on Pinterest.  Love it. :)
Source

Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment