Pages

Friday, July 3, 2015

Busy is a choice

I'm usually writing about recipes or activities relating to a healthy lifestyle.  The topic of this post was planted in my brain a couple of days ago, during a conversation with my friend Kris.  I was telling her how busy I usually am on Saturdays, doing my meal prep for the coming work week.
I told her that sometimes I feel this sense of resentment that I "have to" spend so much time cooking.

Well, guess who puts the pressure on me to do that meal prep?  Me.  I got to thinking about the pressure I put on myself to do so many things.  Going, doing, joining....always busy, busy, busy.
I catch myself sometimes comparing others lives to mine.  Is my busy more important than yours? Am I busier than you?  Does that make me more important than you?

Those are NOT thoughts that I want in my brain and that is NOT what God wants for me, either.

On a regular basis, I've had to stop and re-evaluate my priorities.  I don't want to be so busy that I can't enjoy life.  So busy that I don't see and enjoy all of the blessings that surround me.  All of the beauty that surrounds me.  So busy that I don't have the time to do the things that bring me joy.

About a year and a half ago, I made the decision to step down from a card challenge design team that I was a member of.  It was something that I enjoyed.  But, since I had adopted a healthy lifestyle, much more of my weekend time was spent on food prep (cooking from scratch, using mostly whole foods) and distance walking.  Something had to "give".  It was actually an easy choice to make.  My priority had to be my health.  I haven't regretted the decision for a minute.

I'm gradually finding ways to pare down the time I spend in the kitchen.  Hey...I finally bought a food processor!  My husband had given me the nickname Chopper, because I spent SO much time chopping vegetables.  Oh my goodness.  That Cuisinart is awesome!  Why did it not occur to me to buy one a year and a half ago?

Ok, back to the subject of busy.   I've read two articles recently that talk about this subject and those writers say it all, much better than I can.
Taming The Busyness of Life
Everyone is Busier Than You
I'm sure I'm not the only one who can relate to this subject.  If any of this relates to you, I hope you'll read these articles.  They're so well written and both gave me a lot to think about.

I don't want to be so busy that I get to the point that I'm don't have joy in my life.  So busy that I'm not creating joy in my life and joy in the life of others.  I need to stop, be still and find joy.
I have to make time for the really important things in my life.  I (and you) don't have to "do it all".

Just one more graphic; this one really spoke to me.  Exactly when I needed to hear it.


Find joy!






No comments:

Post a Comment