Pages

Friday, November 20, 2015

A new recipe to share - Gingerbread Oatmeal!

Oh, I've missed this blog.  I enjoy sharing with all of you...actually, maybe there are just a few of you readers!  However few there are, I love blogging.  :)

So!  I have a really tasty recipe to share.  Slow Cooker Gingerbread Oatmeal.
Yes...it's just as yummy as it sounds.  It just so happens, it have a batch cooking right now and it smells soooooo good!  In today's batch I added a chopped apple, some chopped walnuts and a few dried cranberries.  Just because I could!

Here's a pic from the site The Lemon Bowl, where I found the recipe.
Photo credit: The Lemon Bowl




At first taste, I wondered if the flavors were too strong.  The spices and molasses and all.
Ummm.  Nope. After that first bowl, I was hooked.  Of course I still add my usual toppings, as I do to ALL my oats.  Sliced banana and a dollop of plain greek yogurt.  A sprinkle of chia seeds and whole ground flax seeds.
Oats are a filling, hearty and nutritious way to start my day and I never tire of them.  Yum.

Here's the recipe for this latest addition to my fave recipes.  For a printer friendly version, click through to the original post at The Lemon Bowl.  The link is above.


Slow Cooker Gingerbread Oatmeal


Prep time
Cook time
Total time
This cozy breakfast is full of warm spices like cinnamon, cloves and ginger then drizzled with molasses, brown sugar and chopped pecans. Perfect for busy weekday mornings or a make-ahead dish for lazy weekends!
Author:
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons molasses
  • 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Steel Organic Cut Oats
  • chopped pecans, brown sugar and molasses - optional garnish to serve
Instructions
  1. Spray the slow cooker insert with cooking spray.
  2. Add all ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
  3. Cook overnight on low for 8 hours.
  4. In the morning, stir oatmeal with a fork to loosen the steel cut oats and make sure everything is fully incorporated.
  5. Serve warm with chopped pecans and additional brown sugar and molasses to taste.
Notes
For easier clean-up and to avoid the slight "crusty" residue inside the slow cooker, place all ingredients in a glass bowl that fits into the slow cooker then add enough water to fill the lower half of the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 cup Calories: 301 Fat: 7 g Saturated fat: 1.9 g Unsaturated fat: 5.1 g Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 48.8 g Sugar: 12.5 g Sodium: 360 mg Fiber: 7.1 g Protein: 9.6 g Cholesterol: 10 mg
Eat up and enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment